Monday, September 27, 2010

For the gal who has everything

Human Highlighter Suit Tally:  6


So, I wrote a whole post about my birthday, and then left it on another computer and forgot to email it to myself.  I can’t face rewriting it, so you will just have to wait.

However, I can tell you about the most unusual gift I received, which actually arrived on Thursday.  That’s the day Raquel and Myron came, and they came bearing… a pig leg.  For me.  It’s called a lacon here, and it is an entire leg of a pig, from thigh to hoof.  After a few trips to the market you get used to seeing scores of them hanging, hoof up, behind the butcher’s counter.  There are several grades of pig leg, and my lacon is one step below the famous pata negra—or black foot.  As you can see from the photo, my hoof is black also.  At the market that afternoon, Raquel also bought me a special pig foot stand to go with my pig foot.  You kind of set the leg into the stand so that you can cut it more easily.  Right now it’s sitting, in its stand, on our kitchen table.  It’s covered in a cloth to keep the meat from drying out.  I’ll attach a photo of the whole setup another day, but didn’t want to use all of my firepower at once.

Hands down, this is the most unique gift I have ever received.  And perhaps the most delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment