Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fig Frenzy!

Human Highlighter Suit Tally:  7


Figs are the most fragile of fruits.  And, when at their best, incomparable.  But the season is short, and these fruits seem to suffer more than others from mass production and long travel times.  To experience fig perfection, you must eat them in season and perfectly ripe.  And it seems as if there are about 5 minutes in each fig´s life when it is perfect.  When eaten under other conditions, figs are often bland, mushy and flavourless.

Fig season is at its peak in Barcelona, and I’ve never had such good ones.  I´ve been eating them for a few weeks now—mostly just popping them into my mouth, but also in salads, with cheese, on my morning yogurt.  But I can tell that the bounty will not last much longer, and I feel the need to exhaust my appetite so that I will be sated until next fall. I love figs, so I´ve gone a bit overboard this week.  I started my fig marathon with a tart.  The crust has a bit of rosemary in it, which balances the sweetness of the fruit. The recipe, which you can find at Epicurious (search for fresh fig tart with rosemary cornmeal crust and lemon mascarpone cream), says to eat the tart as soon as it is assembled.  We ate half of it after dinner, and I thought it might not keep well and that perhaps I should give the rest to my neighbour Francesca.  But it got late, so we stuck it in the fridge and it was delicious the next morning for breakfast.

I found pomegranates in the market, so remade the salad that contains roasted figs, pine nuts, cabrales cheese (a Spanish blue), and pomegranate.  It was delicious without the pomegranates but even better with.

Next I made a pizza with figs, jamon iberico, cabrales, balsamic and arugula. You bake the whole thing and then mound the dressed arugula on top.  It was like pizza and salad all in one—really fresh and rich all at the same time.  The perfect lunch.

And, I’m also keeping a few extras around, just to pop in my mouth on my way through the kitchen.  Too good.

5 comments:

  1. You have gone fig crazy and the tart sounds and looks wonderful. Tonight we are getting the beginning of a big rain storm so I decided to make soup. Trecked out to the store after work and picked up some things and got home just as the rain began. You must be asking yourself " what soup did she make?" Well I made your soup that was in the blog. At first I thought it might be a little too smokey flavored for me but it was good. Had two bowls and even put the bread in the bottom and the sliced figs on top. It was a good healthy hearty meal. Thanks, Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am very confused with your timing. is this an old post or just something in your head, since we ate this fig tart so long ago. also, one addition to your comments that "When eaten under other conditions, figs are often bland, mushy and flavourless."

    i would also mention "musty."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My post was from yesterday, Din't you just post about your fig tart yesterday. The tomato soup I made was from a post you made quite awile ago and you posted the recipe. L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that comment that looks like it was from me was from Alec. So it's confusing. Glad you liked the soup--try the tart!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete