Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Two Things You Should Never Do in Barcelona...

Human Highlighter Suit Tally: 9


When the kids and I arrived at their school this morning, we were greeted by a middle school kid standing on the corner waving an enormous Barça flag.  On the patio, a gang of rambunctious boys, all decked out in Barca regalia, rallied around another flag holder, and they all proceeded to march around the schoolyard.  “Can I join the parade, Mama?” asked C.C.

I brought the kids to school today in my yoga pants, sneakers and a sweatshirt.  This is practically the daily uniform of millions of American mothers. As long as everything is clean and it fits you well, you’re good to go.

Not so in Barcelona.

I have been told that there are two things one never does here.  The first is wearing exercise gear as streetwear.  There are women who come to school in their tennis togs, but they drive to school, and then to their club.  I don’t think they are actually seen on the street in their tennis clothes.  And, like me, many of these women are Not From Here.  I do not think I have seen a single Spanish woman on the street in sweatpants and sneakers.

And the second no-no is eating in a public place that is not a restaurant.  One day last week I committed both crimes.  At the same time.

Here’s what happened.  I had to bring the kids to school, then go straight to Spanish class (which is at their school), and then straight to yoga if I wanted to make the noon class.  Which meant I had to be dressed for yoga when I set out.  I suppose I could have gotten dressed and then changed at the yoga studio, but this seemed silly to me.  It’s probably what a native would have done, however. Spanish class let out a little early, and I was famished, so I parked the car, popped up to the apartment, and made a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich on brioche.  I highly recommend the combination.  I did not have time to sit and eat it, and still make it to class on time, so I took it to go, which meant that I ate it while walking to yoga.

I got more than a few looks; you would have thought I warranted a spot on the Spanish version of America’s Most Wanted. 

I get it, I really do and, as I’ve written before, I am fighting hard on the front line of the battle against multi-tasking.  But sometimes, it’s really hard.  And Spaniards simply do not understand how anyone could eat anywhere but at a table. Eating and doing anything else at the same time is simply unthinkable. 

The parents of one of my kids’ grades recently had a coffee morning.  We do this about once a month.  Everyone chats, and if there are questions or issues the class parents bring them to the teachers and administrators.  One of the Spanish mothers, talking about one of the teachers, said, “Miss X treats the classroom like her apartment!  She eats her lunch at her desk—it smells like chicken in there all the time!”  She was outraged.  I felt like saying, “Lady, come to the US.  Everything smells like chicken.  People eat on the street, at their desks, in their cars.”  I have not seen a single drive-thru since we arrived in August.

The thing is, I agree with her.  I prefer a culture in which people value the importance of selecting, preparing and eating, enjoy their food, rest at table at least three times a day.  Eating mindfully is more holistically sustaining than simply pumping calories, like fuel, into your body. I’ve started noticing just how many meals I eat standing up.  Or while I’m checking email, reading the paper, chopping onions.  Living in another context has made me see myself in bolder relief.  You do the things you always do, but then when you are surrounded by people who are not doing the same things, you perceive your actions differently, maybe even question things you did daily, without thinking. Still, old habits die hard. 

Mindful eating, along with slow food, has gained momentum in recent years.  The Center for Mindful Eating claims that “Mindful Eating can bring us awareness of our own actions, thoughts, feelings and motivations, and insight into the roots of health and contentment.”  “Surviving Girl Scout Cookie Season,” is a recently posted article on the TCME Website.  You can also learn about mindful eating at www.mindfuleating.org, which features testimonials from followers who have lost weight using the CAMP (Control, Attitudes, Mindful eating, and Portions) system.

Thich Nhat Hanh, the Buddhist monk whose writings embody integrity and wisdom advises: “When you chew, chew only the carrot, not your projects or your ideas.”

I don’t think you’d ever catch Thich Nhat Hanh walking down the street eating a peanut butter sandwich.  But I’d like to think that if he saw me, he would understand, if he knew I was on my way to yoga.

1 comment: