Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Santa comes early

Human Highlighter Suit Tally: 10


The first part of our drive to the kids’ school is a long, straight shot up Balmes, to the Avinguda Tibidabo, then a left onto the Ronda de Dalt, from which you get a nice view down to the rest of the city.   Looking out his window this morning, Milo shouted, “Mama!  I see Daddy’s airplane!”  “Really?” I said.  “How do you know it’s his?”  “Because I saw him inside it,” he replied.  Of course.

So Alec arrived back this morning, his suitcase loaded with booty from his trip to New York.  What did he bring back?  Crushed red pepper, aleppo pepper (my sister, Jody got me hooked on it about a year ago and I use it all the time—if you have not tried it, you must), chocolate chips, maple syrup.  Deodorant, my favorite SPF 50 moisturizer that I cannot find here, and the alternatives cost a bloody fortune.  The toy baryonyx and maiosaura (with nest) that C.C. wants for Christmas.  A book on the Mondragon cooperative, and a copy of the Frankie’s Spuntino cookbook (an indulgence, I know, but I could not resist). You’d think we lived in the middle of a desert. 

I was hit by a strange stomach thing yesterday so worked from home all day today, caught up on email, napped, and dove into the new books.  I’ve eaten nothing but brioche toast since yesterday noon, and the everything bagel Alec brought me from New York.  I don’t eat a ton of bagels, even when I’m in New York, but there’s nothing quite like it.  A taste of home.  There is still harissa soup in the fridge, so I think I will test myself with that for dinner.  I’m hungry.

2 comments:

  1. Love the goalie AND that he is hanging in there with his fav socks!
    Please be well. Take good care of yourself! Welcome home to Alec!

    ReplyDelete