Sunday, January 9, 2011

Back to Barca


Our flight out of Trapani left at 6:30 am which, aside from waking up at 3:30, was not as bad as I thought it would be.  We had given the kids a pep talk about teamwork the night before, and they were troopers—terrific travellers until we got into our car back in Spain, at which point they fell promptly asleep.  The flight arrived early, so even with a stop at Borg and Olga’s flower shop in Mataro and the hour drive to Barcelona, we were home by 11:30 am. 

We have been in Barcelona for five months now and it’s finally starting to feel like coming home when we return from travelling.  Alec was our hero, heading out to do a big shop at Carrefour because our cupboards were bare.  The kids played while I unpacked and began the laundry marathon.   I had to convince the kids to come out for a short errand to get peanut butter at the health food store a few blocks away (you can’t get it at Carrefour).  They wanted so badly not to leave the apartment that they asked me to leave them with another family in the building.  Unfortunately, we don’t really know that family so it wasn’t much of an option.

C.C. vowed that she would stay in her pajamas all day on Sunday, and she did (so did Alec), coloring and planning her birthday party.  Milo got a call for his friend Peter and jumped at the chance to go to Peter’s house.  Peter lives near the gym, so I dropped Milo there, worked out and sat in the steam room, and then picked him up on my way back.  It was gorgeous in Barcelona today—70 degrees and sunny.  I am not sorry to be skipping a New York City winter.

With the exception of my bracelets and Milo’s Palermo jersey, all of our Sicily souvenirs are edible, or were edible and got converted to carry-on luggage around our middles.  I think it will be a few days, at least, until we make a pasta meal, but I swear if I ever got kicked out of the US and had to choose one place to live, it would be Italy.  I could eat that food forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment