Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Movies


I celebrated Alec’s return this morning by going to the market to stock the kitchen, dropping C.C. at a birthday party, leaving Milo with Alec, and going to the movies.  Alone.  I was really in the mood for an entertaining but not too heavy Hollywood flick.  I have actually been called (I won’t name names) a “movie slut” because of my willingness to see almost anything.  Once the lights go down, I have what I consider a great talent for being sucked right into the story.  As long as it’s not my story, I’m good.

I also really wanted to see a movie in English—I took the kids to see Rio in Spanish after school yesterday, and that was about as much as I could handle.  Given my time constraints and what was available, I ended up seeing the polar opposite of the Hollywood studio film.  I saw Inside Job.  Not exactly light entertainment, but worth seeing.  Even though I had already read or heard most of what the film reveals, it is a powerful thing to have it all brought together, in living color, in under two hours’ time.  I left feeling sad for all of the people who have lost so much, bewildered by those whose sense of entitlement and blamelessness allows them to continue much as they did before, and scratching my head about how to move past outrage to action, instead of the resignation that seems so prevalent.

And then I picked C.C. up from the party, cooked up some bravas, roasted broccoli and chicken burgers for dinner, and soaked in the tub while Alec managed bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment