Monday, March 7, 2011

Three Day Weekend


Saturday was too beautiful not to be out, so we decided to go to the Barceloneta.  The Barceloneta neighborhood juts out into the sea, and it has a vibe that’s part hip European city, part surfer dude. I don’t spend enough time there.  We had a lovely paella outside at Kaiku while the kids rode their bikes on the plaza nearby, stopping at the table only long enough to wolf down their plates of pasta.  Despite the sun, the breeze was chilly and we had to eat quickly before our food got cold.  Alec got a bike out of one of the Bicing racks, and rode with the kids along the promenade while my Mom and I strolled.  We all met up at the Frank Gehry fish sculpture, where Lois took Alec’s bike and rode back with the kids.  74 years old and she’s still got it!

Some other parents from the kids’ school had invited us to join them for dinner, so we had a drink at the Dry Martini Bar, and then dinner at Semproniana, a Mediterranean place.  The food was good, but I won’t rush back.

Yesterday we headed down the coast to Tarragona, a large-ish city that contains a Medieval walled city that is home to some very cool Roman ruins.  As is typical in Spain, much was closed because it was Sunday, but the kids managed to find a shop that sold medieval regalia and Grandma remembered that she had not sent them birthday presents, so they left with knights’ helmets and shields, and knight pajamas which I am certain they will want to use as street wear as well.  A group of singers serenaded people on the plaza having drinks, and we had a huge lunch at the Palau del Baro, a converted 18th century mansion.  It had a large terrace where the children could play, which allowed us to relax and eat.  Afterwards we found a local park where C.C. could play in the playground and Milo could play soccer with the locals.

We flopped on the couch when we got back and watched Raiders of the Lost Ark—which was much more violent than I remembered.  Milo:  “I don’t really like this movie, but I want to keep watching.”

It’s some obscure only-in-Barcelona holiday, so the kids did not have school. Alec headed to Valencia early this morning for a conference, and I somehow slept until 12:30!  I couldn’t believe it.  I think the last time I slept that late was in college.  The kids were happy to have a lazy morning with Grandma, and after I made pancakes, we all went to the pool.  Some of their schoolmates were there, which made it extra fun.  Three days seems like the perfect amount of time for a weekend.  I think it should be normal practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment